Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, July 31, 2017

July 31, 2017

So nice to be getting the rain. This year I do  not intend to let the weeds get out of hand. For the most part my beds are weed free since they have been mulched. It is the paths that concern me the most.

Recently I purchased a battery powered weed eater. It is a hole lot quieter than a gas powered one and it does not seem to bother the fowl as much although it does get their attention. It is my desire to keep the path weeds burnt down until such time that I can hula hoe them. My main objective is to keep them from going to seed, unlike last August's weeds.Yes I am paying that bill!

It is very nice to see all the sowing's that I did just before the heat broke are now starting to mature. I will soon have lettuce even though part of the bed got uncovered and the guineas made a presence. The summer squash are just about to start blooming. Even though the peas have gotten a little chloritic from all the rain, I have given them a shot of iron and nitrogen, this should boost them right along.so far so good for September peas. Since it has cooled off I am not as concerned that they will not be sweet. Guess we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Both my early squash and cucumbers are making a bit of a comeback. I think the late freeze and then the heat combined with the  RKN,  their new found production will be limited. I have pulled most of the yellow squash and found their roots to be completely covered with "knots". Exactly what I suspected. 

It would be nice not to have RKN but such is life. Challenges are always there to be navigated around.

No comments: