Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

July 13, 2017

Good morning, I do believe that between the last freeze and the hissy fits in June have  the summer squash and cucumbers have been severely effected. I see them slowly waking up but the new plantings are really out performing them. The squash was planted before the cukes and are nearly of size to start blooming. Both of these veggies have never really recovered from the freeze and it showed in their foliage. These new planting will do much better. 

The beans have experienced spider mites and were looking pretty bad. With a couple of sprays of cold pressed neem oil I hope to have the mites in control. I am seeing some clean new growth, but because of the heat and nematodes I have sown a new bean bed. 

With any luck we will have cukes, squash and beans up to freezing in the fall.

I have never sown okra in late June or early July, It will be interesting to see how it performs. Sweet potatoes, another hot loving plant took off real nicely with an early July planting but took offence to the mid August night time cooling and the tubers never sized up very well. It appears that the cool night  temperatures was more important that warm soil temperatures. I will be curious to see how my fall okra does. The variety that I am growing for fall has shown as long as the soil is warm it will produce. My hope is that the Lee okra will be mature when Mid August arrives.

As for the peas, I am amazed at how well they are doing. Most are nearly 4 inches tall. I did not get a 100% take. It looks closer to 60 or 70 percent. This should provide for a nice harvest. As these guys were emerging it was hitting the century mark. I am very pleased. One note I have read about late season peas is that they do not germinate well (sprouting took care of this) and that they are not as sweet ( I am hoping the cool nights of fall will help with this).

Ah yes one would never know until you try. As My Old Man would say "can't never did anything!"

This week I harvested chard,kale, green onions,carrots, beets, and tomatoes. In storage there is garlic, bulb onions and butternut squash. Please email for availability.

No comments: