Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, July 10, 2017

July 10, 2017

How wonderful it is to have mid nineties and lower temps. The cool down during and after rainstorms are to die for. Simply just a little piece of nirvana.

I thought I was handling the heat, until I realized I was dropping the ball on several occasions. I do appreciate everyone's patience.

The heat along with RKN played havoc on my summer squash and cucumbers. I had planned to sow a second bed of both of these veggies. They were mature when the last freeze hit. This stressed them pretty severely. It was because of this the RKN was able to get a foot hold on their roots. This caused them to be even more susceptible to the heat. And thus the need to sow more squash and cucumbers.

My observation with the use of the Promax, is that it is very effective at allowing plants to grow in favorable conditions. As with any tool one needs to learn how to use it. 

It took me several years to learn the limits of the use of fabric. With trial and error I have built my confidence of what it can and can't do. 

This winter was exceptionally warm and it encouraged me to force veggies to grow on the fringes of adequate conditions. For the most part I was very successful. This has shown me that unless there is some how that I can  adequately warm the soil for okra, it will be a veggie that cannot be forced. Okra does not stand for cool soil. My subsequent plantings in warmer soil has shown this to be true. This is one veggies that does not work with the premise that veggies will grow in cooler or warmer soils than what they will germinate. That live and learn thingy. Funny that I would put such effort into a veggie I am not fond of. It is very popular though.

No comments: