Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

July 27, 2017

Good morning, Because it has been such a warm year I think my pet root knot nematodes (RKN) have been very active this year. More so than any other year.

I am using a new soil treatment called Promax (a thyme oil product) and I feel I am getting some positive results..

Last year I used a product called Aza Guard (a neem oil derivative) and was having some decent relief. When it started raining in August I discontinued out of over watering fears. In hindsight I should have administered  the potion and then let the rain do the rest.

With new plantings I am alternating weeks of using these potions. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I did a little experiment to see what would happen when I re planted in spots that an okra and a cucumber had died due to RKN. I had recently applied some Promax, followed by a soil drench with a  .5% solution (may try a 1% or a 2% solution)  of cold pressed neem. Both of these plants are growing although not as robust as the other plants in the beds. The cucumbers seem to be doing better than the Okra. This could mean a couple things: the okra bed has a more severe infestation of RKN or that the cucumber variety I grow is more tolerant of RKN. I am not sure how I would quantify that.

Anyway we will see what the roots look like when I pull plants later this fall.

Of all the treatments that I have used the most effective one is solarization. This is where some clear greenhouse film is laid over a perfectly flat bed and the film is buried around the edge. The bed then heats up to 130 + degrees and fries the RKN. The last time I did this I neglected to note the dates. I feel it is 3 + years of control. Not too bad of a return.

I have not done this because it is very labor intensive. Next May and June (the best month to solarize),I am will do a modified approach. Instead of burying the edge I am just going to cover the edge with soil. I have not seen any literature on this method. I am sure some of the heat will be lost but I will be interested to see what the sustained heat will be at 4 to 6 inches. 

If it works it would be prudent to ad this to my RKN treatment regime. 

It is with great hope that at some point the RKN and I can have a truce.

This week I harvested chard, green onions, beets, chilies, zucchini's,   and in storage onions, garlic and butternut squash. Please email for availability. 

No comments: