Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3, 2017

There have been a number of "first's" this year starting back in January.
It was the first time I planted tomatoes in January and have the survive. First time most of the garden was planted before March.

June was so hot it was the first time that I have had sun scald go through two layers of fabric. Also it was the first time even as I was dripping the roots of my yellow squash the tops actually got burnt by the sun. there was no water except down by the roots delivered by my drip system.

I have been trying to keep everything that I can covered. The sun has been nothing but brutal. Friday June 30th is forecast to be 100 with decreasing highs the first week of July. Funny how 90 almost sounds cool June 29th my thermometer read a high of 102. A week or so back I briefly had a high of 106. Maybe  the 102 did more damage because the plants had been tenderized and were ready to be cooked. lets hope July will be more benevolent!! I am so glad I am not a plant out in the sun.

No comments: