Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, November 2, 2015

November 9' 2015

avalanche column


October15,2015

There are a number of reasons why I do not use a roto-tiller in the garden.

Probably the quiet is the number one reason. Yes there is a lot physical work when you resort to the use of hand tools, but it is nice to remain connected to the world around me.

I like to listen to the chickens scolding the hen that is taking tooooo long to lay that egg, as if there was only ONE place on the property to lay an egg. Although it does facilitate egg collection if they all use the same nest box. There have been numerous times that a raptor has visited near the hen house. Usually the sharp shinned hawks are feeding on the sparrows that are feeding on the chicken pellets, none the less the rooster sets off the warning for all the ladies to go for cover. There does seem to be a more emphatic alarm with a red tailed hawk than a sharpie. Red tails are a much bigger bird and can easily take a chicken.

I like being a space case in the garden and using powered equipment is not a good idea if you DO NOT pay close attention to the task at hand, one of those no brainer kinda things.

I had not been gardening on my property long when I noticed all kinds of indentations and small holes throughout the garden. It was not until I rolled a few spade footed toads out of their slumber that it dawned on me what all the holes were from. There are quite easily several hundred hibernating in the garden. A shovel penetrates the bed about every 6 to 8 inches whereas a roto-tiller would be the full length. The tines would go down to the depth I find these guys. A tiller would take out most of them whereas with a shovel I clobber one or two a year. I am not sure how much they are part of my pest control program, but it is just nice to have them.

I have mentioned that I have root knot nematodes in my garden. These microscopic “worm like” creatures cause root gals on the roots of vegetables. The outcome of this is a slow death of the plant along with diminished productivity. I have mapped where most of these infestations are. With a shovel I can work from a “clean” portion of a bed towards a contaminated part. Sometimes this is in the middle of the bed. Working from either end of the bed is easily done with a shovel, not so with a tiller.

In a past career I used a lot of mechanized equipment that required me to use ear protection. The noise was constant. But there is nothing like the quiet of “no stroke” engine!!

These are some of the reasons I only use a shovel.

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: