Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

October, 29, 2015


Good morning, critters in the garden has been a constant since I have started the garden. Plant a garden and they will come.

It does seem like there is an escalation of defense mechanisms. We first started with a two foot tall fence to keep rabbits out. Then it progressed to an electric fence to keep the deer out. If we had of had a battery backup system this may have worked. But with two nights in a row the power went off and the deer realized they could jump over. And jump over they did. We found a less expensive deer fence alternative to metal and it has worked quite well for several years now.

When we got chickens there became a need to cross fence with more deer fencing because there were a few good fliers. Soon we discovered there were a few feathered bulldozers and so the bottom was secured. We had one especially good entry artist and she discovered all the chinks in my fence.

Before the garden got of size I used hand picking to control bugs. I think the last time I hand controlled an outbreak in the garden was when we had an invasion of mulberry caterpillars. I had not given them much concern until they denuded our two large mulberry trees and then proceeded towards the garden. They gave me the impression of a huge advancing army with total destruction in their path. This was probably the first time I had used an organic spray. Bt is very effective against caterpillars but I had to order it on line because there was no outlet in Alpine. While waiting for the Bt's arrival I spent some long days hand picking and filling gallon containers of caterpillars. By the time the Bt arrived it merely cleaned up the remainders. A valuable lesson about pest potential. Luckily there have not been those critters again.

Then there was the great grasshopper outbreak and the fortification continued. double layers of fabric on the veggies, a fabric covered fence, ten foot clear zone around the garden, nolo bait, hand picking at night with finally releasing our guinea flock that has controlled the hoppers for several years now. The guineas are now quite geriatric but the chickens seem to be keeping the control.

Then the year after our big drought in 2011, it seems that the squash bugs discovered us. There was enough of them to completely cover pumpkins and not be able to see the pumpkins. Squash bugs are hard to control and with several hundred cucurbit plants, hand picking was merely a dream for control. This is when I discovered cold pressed neem oil. This organic pesticide, that has been used in India for a very long time, was given a trial drive in my garden at the first sight of squash bugs. After three spraying s spaced 7 days apart they were controlled and have not been an epidemic kind of problem since. I may have the need to spray only a few times each year. This oil works well on many feeding insects.

Since the squash bug outbreak I have had some cucumber beetles and the neem oil seemed to control them. Not so this year. I would neem them and they would thank me for the shower and continue with their handy work. I soon found a pyrethrin organic spray that knocked them down to manageable levels.
Then with infinite amazement on my part I left a gate unsecured and a lone javelina found it's way into the garden. Luckily it only browsed on the sweets and rooted in the orchard area. Well this did set up the next step of armoring the garden with a 4 foot wide chicken wire skirting along the outside of the garden. This extends up the deer fence 2 feet and on the ground 2 feet. Along with lots of rocks, I am hoping this takes care of the pigs.

And just as you think the coast is clear, enter stage right a ground squirrel. I have had pocket gophers but they eat roots under ground. This critter has gotten into my sweet beds and eating the tops off of any tuber that projects above the ground. To date I do not know how many pounds it has eaten but 43 pounds have been browsed to severely eaten. Either it has climbed the fence but more likely burrowed into the garden. The cat and I have discussed this job slacking and she says she does pocket gophers and not ground squirrels. I am developing ideas but I sure wish the cat would take on the task.

Oh yes what an interesting journey, I wonder what the next attraction will be.

All I can say is , I sure do like the fabric. Last Saturday night there was a light convection frost and on Sunday night there was a zinger. Everything that was uncovered and under 3 feet got zapped.. There was a little leaf nipping where foliage touched the fabric, other than that everything came through fine.

So there still will be toms, chiles, and eggplants. The tops of the okra are fine but the foliage by the ground is fried. So long to the butternuts, beans and summer squash although I do have a couple zukes that might have a fruit or two to harvest. It was a nice run from the middle of March to the end of October.

No comments: