Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

October 8, 2015


Good morning, Yes!!!! Sunday was just a little piece of heaven! What a wonderful day. Nice cool overcast and might I say at the end of the day over 1/2 inch in the rain gauge. Wednesday morning brought another .56 inches. This is the first time since the winter rains that the garden is too soggy to work in. Thursday morning harvest will most likely be slow do to mud.
I harvested the toms so they would not split and the okra so that I wouldn't have javelin spearheads. Then spent the rest of the day transplanting and seeding. Things are looking pretty peachy.

My only concern is with the Asian greens. When I harvested the sweets out of this bed that I found it was infected with nematodes. The first that I knew of that!! (for this bed) The Asian greens seem to be susceptible to them. With the soils cooling maybe the nematodes will become inactive. We can hope. I plan to use some Azaguard on the nematodes, but with as wet as the soil is it would most likely leach on through. I will wait for some drying.

Next week I will be sowing the peas. I am going to do two beds and see how they do. Last years crop was to die for. It was hard to believe they lasted into May. Global weirding weather. Then at the end of this month I will seed my bulb onions and garlic.

Long term forecasts are for another wet and cool winter. I am contemplating about my mid-December tom and pepper sowing. I felt my plants got a little root bound because out planting was delayed do to ice and snow. Decision, decisions. I have lots of time to decide.

What with the rain that is expected to last a good part of the week, I will get a very welcome change of pace. I have harvests and a couple things to seed but other than that the garden is in good shape. The garden will not need me to be helicoptering. Yes what a wonderful change. The first since from way back towards the end of June. Very much appreciated!!!

The summer veggies are fading but the winter ones are ever so close to production. As always I hope this transition goes smoothly.

Woke up Thursday morning to thunder, lightning, and driving rain. The rain is forecast to let off on Saturday. I hope it does, I so look forward to Saturday market.


No comments: