Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, November 9, 2015

November 9, 2015

avalanche column


October 22, 2015

It is really nice to hear from all the followers of this column. I write about what I do and try to relay how well things go and also how badly things go. It is my intent to encourage trial and error. Not everything that I do will work for everybody because each person is different and everybody’s gardens are different too. What I do may be adaptable to the individual gardener’s needs.

I think that the best teacher is mistakes. Once you have made a mistake evaluate what went wrong and how to correct it. The first thing after a problem comes up; I like to see if maybe it was something that I may have done. Correcting something I have done is a whole lot easier than correcting an environmental problem.

One of the most common questions I receive is whether I do presentations. I used to give evening talks but it has been quite a while. Somehow it is difficult to find the time to prepare and do an evening presentation.  In recent years I have been working with Jesse Schneider. She is the county extension agent for Presidio County and works with Logan Boswell who is the county extension agent for Brewster County.

I usually give a presentation that is one segment of a day long workshop. I find these to be a whole lot easier to prepare for. It is also nice to visit with folks that are in the agriculture trade.

I mention this because on the 29th of October I have been asked to give a presentation about winter gardening. The workshop is titled Nature Appreciation Day and will be held at CDRI. Check out the schedule on face book. There will be a lot of great topics covered and a great time will be had by all.

If you are interested please call Jesse at 432-729-4746,   5600 for more details. Also ask to be put on her upcoming event mailing list. Hope to see you there!!!

 Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: