Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

April 2, 2015


Good morning, something that I would like to do is grow all of my own sweet potato sets. This year I set aside a number of the small tubers to sprout. I also rooted a few cuttings that I overwintered in a cold frame. I think that both of these techniques have potential, but they do need to be tweeked to be viable.

I layered the sweet tubers in the beds they would be planted to. Well as everyone is aware this winter was continually cool with several ice and snow events. Sweets like to be stored at 50 to 60 degrees with around 80% humidity. In years past I have found that our soils stay fairly warm at 6 or more inches in depth. I buried these tubers at 8 to 10 inches, thinking I was being conservative with this depth. The soils remained saturated for most of the winter and with the several ice / snow events the soil temperatures really dropped even down to my tubers depth. This ended up being a perfect mix to rot the tubers. Not many looked like they would survive to sprout when I dug them so I could raise them closer to the surface. I also had buried some in the bed I was using greenhouse film under fabric for a cover. These fared better but I think they also were too wet through the winter.

Next fall I intend to layer these small tubers in some damp sand that is in a small ice chest. I will place this under the house or in one of our back rooms. Normally our dry winters turn these little tubers into little mummies if left uncovered. I do not think these mummied sweets would sprout.

With my rooted cuttings I was afraid that the vines would take over the house so I left them in the cold frame a bit too long. I thought that bringing them into the house the first of February would be long enough for them to grow big enough to take multiple cuttings from, Wellll maybe enough for one bed I will grow three beds and each bed needs about 180 sets. Deb has a south facing window at work she would like to grow a sweet potato vine around. This might be my solution for cuttings.

So I ordered sets for 2 beds and next fall I will give the propagation thingy another whirl. It is not that the sweet sets are expensive but I really would like to do all of my plant and seed propagation in house. I have never done this with all of my crops but I think it would be an accomplishment that I would like to achieve.

The fall of 2013 I planted some small potato tubers in the garden so that they would germinate and grow as they saw fit. Doing this and having a drip system for the first time, I actually got some decent sized tubers. Some were almost a pound. I have never gotten tubers that big. So last fall I thought I would do the same thing again.

To my surprise the soil stayed warm all the way up until Christmas. A good portion of these tubers sprouted and were growing quite well to my dismay. Well needless to say they got frozen back to the ground. Since this happened at the beginning of their growth cycle, I was not concerned. As they start to regrow I am noticing several tops emerging from the soil. Depending on what depth these are sprouting from there is the potential for a lot of nodes to produce spuds. Time will tell. Next year I may have to stall on planting the tubers until mid December or January. I think this technique has potential.

This all reminds me of the number of set backs I had with my early tomato plantings. I used to have to start a lot more toms when I was figuring the earliest I could plant them in the ground. Through trial and error I have found which conditions need to be present to insure that the toms do not meet an early demise. Nothing like trial and error.

Ah yes pushing the seasons.

And there is some good news at the market. We have vendors that are selling vegetable transplants. I must say that they do look very nice. This is a welcome addition to the market. Also the folks from the YT Ranch will be selling grass fed State inspected beef once a month. Last week was their first week. They come from Northern Kermit County so they do have a bit of a trek to get here. They plan to come towards the end of each month and this Month will be on April 25th. Which also coincides with the yearly Earth Day celebration on Murphy street. This is always a blast. Last year there were over 50 vendors. We have also had a gentleman inquire about selling Artisan Bread. This would be a very welcome addition to the market!

As for the garden, I keep hoping that my spring / summer veggies come on line just as the winter veggies are finishing. Winter pickings are thinning. But I did finally get a picking of peas. I so hope I can get more than a week or two of harvests before the spring heat kills them. Last year they were finished before now. But yessss peppers are blooming along with toms. Beans are 6 inches tall, likewise with the Zukes and yellow crook necks. Okra is up, new bed of chard and kale transplanted. The garlic and bulb onions are looking very fine. Yes I do believe spring has sprung. 


No comments: