Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

March 26, 2015


Good morning,I have wondered how the pioneers fed their chickens before pellets. The noted site below is an interesting web site that addresses this issue.
 
 
 It is just as interesting that most sites I have seen that address this issue are located in wetter climes. Similar to what I have found with veggie gardening. This does add a curious twist to it. It would be interesting to see “The Mother Earth News” do an article on West Texas Arid homesteading.
 
The summer time, especially if we get a wet season, free range feeding the chickens becomes a lot easier. Chickens are omnivores and will eat just about anything you throw at them. I have seen them eat anything that runs, walks, crawls, or is just lying there. This includes animal or vegetable. I sometimes laugh when I see chicken food that sells itself as vegetarian. Chickens will only be vegetarian if they are permanently enclosed inside. Chickens are opportunists.
 
What I have found is that you need to feed chicken carbohydrates and protein. The carbs are an easy issue. Mangles which are oversized beets have traditionally been grown for livestock feed. In milder climates, like ours they can be harvested throughout the winter. I have fed beets to my birds and they love them. Another large root crop is turnips. An interesting note with turnips, the leaves contain around 18 % protein and the roots have about 12%. Of course they would also contain carbs too. I choose mangles and turnips because their roots can get to be upwards of 20 pounds. Several birds could eat on one root.
 
 The above mentioned website addresses all sources of protein. I will address vegetable sources. I have tried to feed the chicken’s alfalfa pellets for winter protein and they look at me as to say “do what”. I have not gotten them to eat alfalfa pellets, but this would also encourage a need to purchase food if they would. One time I purchased an alfalfa hay bale to mulch with in the garden and the girls went ape over the stuff. So I decided to look at growing legumes for forage. Two examples are alfalfa and clover.
 
When we were prepping the guineas to be free range, we had planted their run to New Zealand white clover. I have also used this crop as a cover crop in the garden to increase nitrogen (protein) levels in the garden. This is a vigorous grower and stays short, up to 18 inches.
I searched the net and found this site that deals with cover crops and forage.
 
 
White clover (New Zealand clover) as a forage provides a 28 % protein crop. This could very easily provide my protein source. With ruminants this causes a bloat risk, not so with chickens.
The roots could be planted in one 45 foot long bed. The clover could either be a mown cover crop bed or plant accessible areas of clover in the barnyard. I could rotate through these areas and let one rehab while feeding from another. I suspect that I could not completely feed my hens without augmenting with pellets.
 
We may have to give this a whirl.
 
It is so nice to finally be getting nice warm weather. It has been difficult to mature succession crops and I have been harvesting my over wintered mature crops. These are beginning to be sparse. With this warmer weather I am hoping that there will not be any veggie scarcity. Please place your orders for your desired veggies and I will do my best to fill all orders.. Veggie transitions from winter to summer can be tricky. In the event that I cannot completely fill orders I will only bill for the portion I do fill. Thank you for your patience.

No comments: