Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

April 23, 2015


Good morning, it has been a very interesting different type of growing year to date. What with all the winter moisture both frozen and liquid, it really has been mild as far as the temperature swings. We only had one morning low in the teens and that was before all the moisture started.. As for the highs I think there has only been one day in the 90's so far and I think that high is suspect.

The wintry precip really chilled the soils down and delayed spring planting by about a month. I usually like to have my first toms in by the middle of February, I just do not like to plant into a snow storm. It was the same with the first of March plantings too. It really wasn't until the middle of March that the soil started to warm. I like to push seasons but I do not want to push the season for the sake of pushing, especially if I do not have the confidence that things will survive.

It really was an interesting observation with regards to my potato seedlings and 3 layers of Agribon 70 fabric. If I had really thought about it the observation would have been obvious. The fabric only holds warmth. What I mean by this is that with all the ice and snow there was virtually no soil warmth. I could have put 20 blankets over the spuds and they would have still frozen. This is a bit of an exaggeration but it does make the point. With the 3 layers, theoretically it should be good to 8 degrees. But the starting temperature was in the mid to low 30's what with the ice chilling. So with even a modest drop in temperature the plants would still freeze. If the soil was in the forties this would make all the difference in the world. It is because of this observation that I delayed planting. We are now well into that comfort zone where the fabric can work its' magic in the advent of a chill down. I really so hope that the freezes are over. It would be wonderful for a number of reasons not to mention that I might be able to eat a tree ripened peach straight from the tree. This would be maybe the second time since planting the trees. Not the best climate for fruit trees.

It does seem that the moisture keeps on flowing. Recently we got 1/2 inch of rain and short panic period with a dusting of hail. I am not sure how much total precipitation we have gotten (one ice storm froze over the top of my rain gauge) but what I have read is a little over 5 inches.

I would not mind if the angry months of May and June were more timid this year. We did have a couple real nasty gusts of wind last week. So far we have had some breezy days but nothing that you could write home about. Lets hope for a wonderfully temperate year. OOOh time will tell, but we can only hope!!!

This weekend is the Earth Day Celebration on Murphy Street. It will start with the Farmers' Market at 9 and continue until 4 in the afternoon. There will be lots of good stuff happening all day. Soooo come on down and join the fun. This will be the third year on Murphy Street and and each year it is getting better and better.

There will be all kinds of vendors in the court yard and on Murphy Street. Plans are to block of both east and west Murphy street from traffic. As for the market all of our usual vendors will be there along with the folks from the YT Ranch with grass fed beef.

I hope to see all yall there.

Oh how everything is jusssst on the cusp of being fully into summer veggie season. The cooler weather of late is slowing maturation quite a bit. It was sad to see 2 female zuke flowers and not a male flower in a 45 foot bed, but Wednesday night I was seeing some male flowers that will open today. The twain shall meet soon. I am seeing enlarging fruit but they will be a week or two out at the least before they can be harvested. Oh how my mouth is watering for that first red ripe tomato. It has been said that patience is a virtue. Ohhh but how trying it can be!!

I continue to nurse the winter veggies until squash, beans, chili's..... can take up the slack. The prolonged cool is helping with that but is also slowing the rest. Sighhhh!


I can be reached at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com or go to http://redwagonfarm.blogspot.com/  

Happy gardening!!!

No comments: