Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

April 30, 2015


Good morning, this garden year should go a lot easier. I say this because I will not be needing to do the long water days standing at the end of a hose from 2 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon. I will rejoice not having to do that anymore.

I am in the process of adding an injector to the drip system. The main purpose is so I can run vinegar through the lines to prevent calcium build up in the drip tape. The second is so I can inject neem products into the root zones to see if I can combat my root knot nematodes from another angle. I am not delusional that I can eradicate them but it would be nice to keep them to a manageable level.

It seems that last year they were more of a problem with my sweets than the wire worms were. Even with the RKN, I was still able to get a pretty good harvest. I think that says more about sweet potatoes than anything; they are a very productive crop even with adversity!

This injector will also be able to control cucumber beetle larvae. Cucumber beetles are unique in the bug world because the only life faze of cucumber beetles that is not harmful to plants is the egg stage. Cucumber beetles and larvae are known to introduce pathogens into plants when they feed on them. This then leads to the plants demise. Exclusion is not an option with the cucurbits because they need insects to pollinate them. So unlike self fertile veggies and greens that can be covered all the time, the cucurbits need to be exposed.

Unlike leaf hoppers that are the vector for Western Curling Disease, where their host plants are native vegetation, cucumber beetles hosts are vegetables. Soooo in theory they should be controllable.

Wow! The Earth Day Celebration was a happening event. What a great turn out of vendors and patrons alike. It has made all the difference in the world since moving the event fro Kokernott lodge to Murphy Street. The prior location was a good one but Murphy Street is so much more accessible. I so much look forward to next year.

Please mark your Calendars YT Ranch grass fed beef will be back the 30th of May.

Looking forward with the weather forecasts it does appear that we will by Friday start getting highs in the 80's and overnight lows in the 50's so maybe my summer veggies will begin to mature.. This is the push that the garden needs to complete the winter to summer veggies. I see the spinach and peas in a slow motion crash, and the summer veggies are just hanging out and in no rush to mature. I continue to harvest immature unpollinated summer squash because there are NO male flowers yet. Maybe next week? 

Mondays cold front will not help with this ripening. Tuesday night I felt would be the night that it might freeze. It was a challenge but I did manage to get the garden well tucked in and then after diner the fruit trees were covered. Tuesday night was not a sound sleep and I got up at 2 AM the thermometer was at 38 and dead calm. By 5 AM the temperature was 33. Just before sunrise the mercury dipped to 32 and then rose to 32.5. A splitting hairs thingy. When I went out in the garden there was a hard frost on all of the fabric along with the covers on the trees. It appears the only freeze damage was the leaves that were touching the fabric. Other than that all is fine. This sine curve weather is playing havoc with the laddies. Egg production seems to ebb and flow from week to week. I sooooooo hope this is the last hissy fit.

Veggie orders may take some creativity to fill this week. Thank you for your patience!!!

Last but not least Is a note from Isabel Whitebread who is raising money for the Alpine Community Garden


I have the information for the online fundraiser we are conducting to help Alpine Community garden. 

The link to the donation page is www.gofundme.com/alpinegarden 

We are raising money to complete a shade structure for the gardeners, get our hands on natural weed suppressants like heavy gravel, add a picnic table, etc. All of the extra info is on the donation webpage.


I encourage anyone to contribute what they ca to this wonderful asset to the Alpine Community mark

No comments: