Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

Good morning, NOAA is hinting that there will be some major weather changes coming our way after Christmas with no details. I did read an exert from the Farmers Almanac that from the end of December to the middle of January there is a good chance of wintry weather. Here again no details. I do find it interesting that The Farmers Almanac makes their forecast a year in advance and is reasonably accurate. Maybe as good as professional weather forecasters. Go figure. Anymore all I really care for is notification of a weather change and to what temperature direction we will be headed. Any more it is the huge swings that catch me off guard.

It seems every year I get lulled into a sowing after the first hard freeze. I sow and then winter hits. 
The seeds germinate and emerge and then they sit, until the customary warming that happens around the middle of February. Maybe because that first freeze was on the heals of that chilling rain I decided to re seed. Because there was no real warmth in the soil, the fabric couldn't do its magic, and the garden was nailed. If the above mentioned change turns out to be towards wintry conditions we will be limping along for awhile longer. If it is to warmer weather then the greens will make a wonderful and welcome recovery.
It is nice to note that soon there will be green onions once again, I made a light harvest of lettuce, have managed to keep the guineas out of the spinach so there will be spinach soon. So everyone hurry up and wait. 
I appreciate everyone's patience. Please place your orders and I will do my best to fill them.

No comments: