Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

Good morning, sometimes I can be so brain dead, especially when you know a cold front is coming my way. My focus was to harvest all the summer veggies and root crops, because I knew they would not make it through. The fall and winter veggies, once they have hardened can take cold, but not the first real hard freeze. I have noted that for most veggie that are not covered 20 degrees is the death temp. We had a low of 17 at 4.5 feet (I need to lower the thermometer for winter position). It is likely that my Kale, carrots and green onions will survive, but they sure look bleak today. No big deal with the carrots, they are mature and are quite safe in the ground, as for the green onions time will tell if the tops need to grow back for harvest. Now the kale may be a different story, the growing tips look good for now but all the harvestable foliage is chicken food. If the tips have survived, there could be kale in the near future just not this week. My chard and lettuce seedlings were covered, didn’t check, but experience says they are fine. On the bright side, if this cold did not kill the veggies they are hardened off now.
Welllll after looking under the covers on Wednesday, This first real heavy freeze took its toll. It  has set me back. A person can try and be prepared but Mother Nature gets the last call. Sunday will be clean up day. Like last year, the covers are the difference of plants being dead or able to have new growth.  This year has been a real challenge.
There have been a number of distractions this year and man have I dropped the ball. Ah but this year is nearly done and next year will soon be knocking at the front door. I believe I am ready to greet.
For anyone interested I do have sweet potatoes for $4.00 per pound,, butternuts for $3.00 per pound and garlic for  fifty cents per bulb in storage
 With luck and a little warmer weather the harvests will continue.

No comments: