Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, November 1, 2018

November 1, 2018

Good morning, it is nice for the rains to continue. The garden is just about sitting on average rainfall for the year. We are close to 16 inches. This is nice.
Most of the summer veggies are gone except for beans and poblano peppers. Sadly, the beans are slowing way down on their blooming. With luck there will be beans for a couple more weeks. I expect a hard freeze soon.
With luck as the last summer veggies go the fall and winter greens will come on line. It looks like there will be Asian greens, boc choi and spinach soon. My old chard bed has recuperated from the grasshoppers and caterpillars. My new chard and kale bed have a few weeks before harvest can begin. I am curious to see what kind of emergence there is in the snow pea bed. The 2 weeks of clouds and rain cooled the soil nicely so I am optimistic. I have more pea seeds to do a late planting of peas. With luck March will bring bountiful harvests. This weekend I plan to sow my bulb onions and next week garlic. I am not going to make the same mistake as last year with the onion seeds. This year they will be covered with the edges buried. This seed bed will be several feet away from any known harvester ant nest. One curious observation, what with my ankle thingy this past fall, I was not able to keep weeds from going to seed (this will be a problem next rainy season), this seed is being stashed by the harvester ants. I wonder if they may be overwhelmed with seeds and would leave garden seeds alone. Or does the CO2 given off by germinating seeds act like magnets to the ants. With burred covers I hope not to find out.
Any way it is all good, and I am sure that next years gardening experiences will be totally different from this year. One thing for sure there will be new lessons to be learned.
Follows is a list of what I am growing, please email as to availability and prices. Chard, kale, green onion, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, butternut squash, garlic, beets, sweet potatoes, and beans.

No comments: