Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, January 4, 2018

January 4, 2018

Good morning, this past few days have been a bit chilly to say the least. As always the coldest day is very seldom the first day. Monday settled in at 19 degrees and then struggled to get up to 33. All the while there was a biting breeze from the north. 

By the time I went to have the stitches removed at 2:45 on Tuesday,  the temperature was down to 24. When I got back into town from Fort Davis it was already 19. I knew we were going to have a chilly night. The low ended up at 9. Luckily it did not stay there long.

Even though everything was tucked in, I still get antsy and anxious to look to see how everything fared.

On Wednesday once it warmed up enough to release the rocks from the fabric, the tour was on.

Having lost the Boc choy last year in a very similar event, this year there were some heavy blankets over the bed. They came through with flying colors. All the other beds of greens appeared to make it through also. None of the greens have grown enough that there are harvest-able amounts. Without greens, filling bags would be difficult. Therefore I will not be offering any bags this week.

There is a forecasted warming trend for the next few days with a cold front to move into the area early next week. It is anticipated to not be nearly as cold as this past one. I think the  forecasters used the word "modified " cold air.

January has always been our coldest month (save for 2011), let us hope we are getting all of this out of our system so that we can return to regular timely veggies.

Yes I could harvest this week but I would only be adding insult to injury. With that said a brief rest for the garden will do it good. 

By the by the stitches are out of my knee, swelling is gone and my built in knee paid has left too. I am glad that my inadvertent ballet with a mesquite thorn happened now as opposed to later in the spring. That would be problematic. So when the weather breaks I am good to go.

We will have butternut squash and sweet potatoes at market this week. 

No comments: