Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, January 15, 2018

January 15,2018

Last September I did get some of my true potato seed (TPS)  to germinate. Some of them  have gotten fairly big. I plan see if one of them is starting to form  tubers. There are about 15 so destroying one won't be a problem. I was surprised that any of them germinated, since it was suggested that the seeds be stratified (chilled) before sowing.

I hope to plant these guys out in the garden once we are past the worst of this winter. 

I do not know what to expect. The seedlings were very small compared to what one sees with seed potatoes. In the garden the seedlings could very easily be pulled thinking it is a weed.

When I harvested the potato berries I buried a couple of them in the bed. I am expecting to see little dog hair thickets of potato seedlings, not to much unlike a buried  tomato. Having sown some seed inside the house i know what to look for.

I am not to sure that I will repeat this because the TPS is so small and the seedlings are also tiny. They are a bit tedious to work with.

It will be interesting when I out plant these seedlings if any of them develop tubers. They will be planted in a place that I can let them do their thing and while I sit back and watch.

When I tried growing garlic from bulbetts  I am not so sure that I may have inadvertently pulled them confusing them as grass seedlings. This is why I wanted to start  the TPS in the house so that I could recognize the seedlings. 

This will be interesting to say the least. 

No comments: