Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, April 4, 2016

April 4, 2016

avalanche column


March 17,2016

Wire worms look like the grubs that I remember feeding lizards when I was a kid. Meal worms we called them. Not sure if they are from the same insect family but wire worms are the larvae of click beetles. Interesting as it may be, I do not get the damage from these critters that I once did.

These guys are active two times a year and looking at the tubers it is very easy to determine the time frame that the damage was done. Wire worms are attracted to the CO2 that is given off by germinating seed. It has been noted that wire worms prefer grass and beans that are germinating. I have not noticed this in my garden. This could be so but I feel most of my seedling mortality is from cut worms, pill bugs, saw flies, and other members of the Lepidoptera family (moths and butterflies). This is not to say they don’t factor into this. Ah yes, troubleshooting.

Where I have noticed most of my wire worm damage is on tubers; sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes and to a lesser extent on sun chokes and beets.

The two times of the year that they attack crops: spring with soil temperatures between 60 and 85. Then again they attack in the fall from 85 to 60. The wire worms move deeper into the soil when the surface temperatures are too hot or too cold. Likewise the early damage is holes in the side of the tuber that have callused over and are much bigger than the diameter of a wire worm, up to ½ inch. Whereas the fall damage is equal to the diameter of the wire worm and there is no callusing.

I inherited these bugs when I converted range land into my garden area. Wire worms like to feed on native grasses. It can take up to several years for the larvae to develop into click beetles.

There is not a lot that can be done to control these critters. Trap crops of corn planted on the edge of a garden bed can lure the worms away from the crop. Like with all traps they need to be tended too. In the case of the corn it needs to be pulled up and the wire worms disposed of. Chickens go YUMMMMM!!!

Ground beetles and their larvae will attach and eat wire worms. I have turned a bed while a chicken is riding shot gun. Grubs have noooo!! chance. This is another reason I like to use a shovel to turn my beds. There are some amazing observations to be made that can’t be done when using a tiller.

I am not sure why this once very damaging pest has faded in its severity of predation. This lessening of damage is highlighted by the declining numbers of young wireworms I observe any more.

Good luck and happy gardening!!! Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: