Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, April 18, 2016

April 18, 2016

Avalanche column


March 31, 2016

This week I would like to express my gratitude for a path taken.

The fork in the road that has led me to so many wonderful things was discovered back in 1976. The fork was to go to the University of Ky. to become a professional forester or take a seasonal forestry job on the Gila National Forest in New Mexico.

Recently Debs Mom passed away and this has caused me to reflect on the path taken for the last 40 years. I chose to go work on the Gila. This was the first and most likely the most important choice I have ever made.

This choice set me on a collision course two years later with my soon unbeknownst to me the love of my life. Since meeting Deb in 1978 we have been inseparable for this time period of which 35 of them we have been married.

I think of all the things that would not have happened if I had chosen two more years of forestry school instead of a temporary tech job on the Gila National Forest.

The list is quite extensive and all of it was a refining of that path taken so long ago to lead me where I am today.

I may have met another lady but it surely would not have been Deb. I may not have been a sole proprietor with a landscape company. I may not have honed my gardening skills in many diverse climates. I may not have moved to Alpine and grow a decent sized garden.  I may not have got involved with the Alpine Farmers market. Nor would I have done the gardening presentations that led up to Deb writing a book of what we do. And surely Deb and I would not have become the managers of the Alpine Farmers Market. This has truly been an amazing life.

Yes I am very grateful for the path taken; it has been an amazing journey.
Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: