Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, January 25, 2016

January 25, 2016

avalanche column


January 8, 2016

Deb and I moved from Central Oregon to here in 2003. Central Oregon is an arid environment and is very different from Western Oregon which is very wet. In a lot of respects Central Oregon is very similar to here just only less so. Less intense sun, less intense heat, less extremely low humidity, but the rainfall is very comparable. But one thing up there that doesn't happen down here with regularity is winter.

Central Oregon taught me much about micro climate adaption in order to have a growing season.  The growing season was maybe three to four months long. Down here, with modest protection, it can be year around. What Central Oregon didn't teach me was about the onslaught of critters that think they have first “dibs” on the garden. The real winters kept insects at bay.

Over the course of a number of columns I will review my extremely steep learning curve about unwelcome garden “visitors” and how I have learned to control them. Control is a key word. If you eradicate the pests, there is nothing to keep a resident population of the “good” guys around. 

Something I always ask myself is the damage cosmetic or detrimental to the crop. Each person will have different tolerances for what they deem acceptable damage or infestation levels. I like to say if you do see some insect munching, THIS IS a “proof of purchase” of organic culture and the veggie is fit for human consumption.

  Some insecticides have a history of originally being formulated as humanicides for fighting wars. Only after the wars ended and all the stockpiles had been inventoried, that someone came up with the brainchild of repurposing these humanicides by diluting them and using it on food crops for human consumption. Really?

I will go over the gallery of critters on my most wanted list. Of course this list is not all inclusive, but the list gets added to as “guests” enter “stage right”. I will also mention what organic controls I have been using and how successful they have been.

In the spirit of not “reinventing the wheel”, I would love to hear about anybody’s treatments for dealing with their own “special” guests. Let me know if you would like me to pass them on.

Next week I will cover my “pest” control methods for the various critters that I have encountered and I will refer back to these methods as I discuss my “friends”

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: