Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 21, 2016


Good morning, It is interesting how this year I have not had the same problems I did last year with starting my spring seedlings. I have changed a few things, and for the better it appears. My mortality is less than 5%. very acceptable levels.

For a few years now, I have used soil blocks which are a very good way to propagate seedlings. I am thinking these would work better in more humid areas of the country. These are a self contained medium that does not have a container other than the pressed block. Because of this it is very difficult to keep them evenly moist so that the seed can germinate. Because I do not use full spectrum grow lights the seedling get quite leggy before they develop secondary leaves and potted on. This is the stage where most of my mortality would occur, from germination to the secondary leaf stage.

This year I did a trial of both seed blocks and mass germination in single serve yogurt containers that had drainage holes in the bottom. I only partially filled these containers with soil and mass seeded them. After seeding them I used a clear plastic cover that fit right on top of a group of seeded yogurt containers. This did help keep the humidity levels up. When the seeds did germinate they were not as far from the lights as the soil blocks, thus they were shorter and more stocky as they developed their secondary leaves. At this point I removed the seedling thicket from the yogurt container and carefully transplanted single seedlings to a small cups to become well rooted. Once they were well rooted I potted them on to an 8 ounce cup.

I have been able to keep my growing room warmer this year. It has maintained 60 degrees and above. Last year it was below 60 degrees. These cooler temps is where dampening off disease develops. This was the source of my mortality. Seedlings from germination to secondary leaf development are the most vulnerable. I did get a seedling heat mat that I used through a cool period but soon found that the seedlings were near 90 plus degrees. This too can be a problem so I discontinued its use and the room has maintained the 60+ degrees. I plan to get a thermostat for this heating mat so that I can more closely regulate it's temperature. I use the older style of florescent lights and these do generate a good amount of heat when they are on. It is when these lights are off that the need for the heating mat is most needed. A thermostat would remedy this problem.

So my observations of soil block versus yogurt cups shows that both work but I was able to grow a better seedling in the yogurt cup even though the seedlings needed to be divided and bear rooted to be potted on.

My first planting of toms, there will be fully stocked beds. This is the same with my chili plantings too. It is nice to not have had to do multiple reseeding s to get a stocked bed. It is comforting to be out of room under my grow lights. I will be starting my second planting of toms soon.

I have three more beds to turn and grade to be ready for spring planting. I hope that I can plant my first bed of toms the middle of February this year. Last year there was ice and snow clean up to the middle of March and thus all of my plantings were delayed. I do not like to plant into a cold front, it just would not be prudent!!

It does look like this gardening year is shaping up quite nicely!!

Night time lows have moderated some and the temporary greenhouses are keeping the temps well above freezing. I do see a modest uptick in greens growth with lettuce leading the pack. I hope to be listing abundant greens soon, that is if Mother Nature cooperates.

The sun choke harvest continues and have used a pickled sun choke recipe. We will have them at market for sampling and to purchase. They are $7.00 per pint.


No comments: