Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

July 19, 2018

Good morning, all the rain has been real nice. I was just beginning to see some rain induced chlorosis. Since the rain stopped this has self-corrected. Looking on Weather Underground we may be in for another round of moisture in the near future. Be nice if this cycle would continue, even if it gives all the weeds a real kickstart, just can’t beat the qualities of rain.
I am going to see if I can match a summer snow pea planting with the next rainy period. Last year’s attempt was a reasonable success. It is worth trying a repeat. For some reason it appears that the first planting of cucumbers has just about petered out. The second planting has just started to bloom. My timing is impeccable. Same way with my summer squash succession. I suspect the decline of both these crops is due to root knot nematodes. I will know once I can pull some plants to look at the roots.
It is nice to see the strawberry bed putting out a lot of runners. This will enable me to plant out the bed very nicely. We have had the chance to taste test some berries. They are quite nice and they seem to be bigger than some other everbearing strawberries in the past. August is almost upon us and I will be digging a few sweets to see how they are sizing up. The amount of ground cracking is favorable.

Follows is a list of what I am growing, please email as to availability and prices. Chard, kale, green onions, carrots, lettuce, okra, tomatoes, chilies (several varieties), eggplant, butternut squash, garlic, beets, bulb onions, cucumbers, summer squash, sweet potatoes, and beans. Also, there is volunteer basil and dill.

No comments: