Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

July 12, 2018

Good morning, it was nice to have a say off from rain. Yesterday was the first day that we have not received a measurable amount of rain. The ground is saturated and I am beginning to see the signs of rain induced chlorosis. This is where the available iron in the soil has been temporarily washed away from the roots due to rainfall. This is a self-correcting condition with a day or two of drying. It was enough of a concern that I did not continue with by by-weekly root knot nematode chemigation. I felt there was no capacity in the soil to hold 2 ½ hours of drip irrigation to administer the nemicide materials. With a day or two of drying this will change.
I still plan to germinate some peas to sow for a fall crop of peas. This worked well until spider mites took them out. Last fall was so warm, which really gave the mites the upper hand. They very quickly took out the peas. With all the rain they may not spread as quick, especially since they thrive in hot dry conditions.
That all said, the garden is cruising right along. We finally harvested the first butternut squash. Presently they are curing and will be ready for sale. While weeding the sweet potatoes, I noticed that the soil is cracking around the root crowns. Avery good sign that the sweets will soon be ready to harvest. Finally, I have three of my five beds of okra mature enough to harvest. With luck I hope to have enough to enough for Deb to dry some and for me to pickle. Last year I was only able to put away 10 pints of pickled okra. And finally, it looks like it looks like I will have lettuce. The way the spring was hot and cold, the weather drove the lettuce crazy. It seemed if you looked at the lettuce cross eyed and it would bolt. I got some summer crisp to grow and it is looking pretty good. I have a second sowing that is ready to transplanting. Finally, I have cleaned the garlic and have set aside next years crop. The sizes have been graded and we will start by selling the smallest first since they do not keep as well. I do have bulb onions but I am going to keep them for bag sales and for canning purposes. They will not be available at market. I am hoping next years crop will be better.
That said all is pretty rosy in the garden.

Follows is a list of what I am growing, please email as to availability and prices. Chard, kale, green onions, carrots, lettuce, okra, tomatoes, chilies (several varieties), eggplant, butternut squash, garlic, beets, bulb onions, cucumbers, summer squash, sweet potatoes, and beans. Also, there is volunteer basil and dill.

No comments: