Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

June 21, 2018

Good morning, last Sunday’s rain was just a little touch of heaven. It also appeared to be a general rain for the area. I was noticing that the native grass on the property was just showing the signs of drying out and sure enough everything got a nice boost of moisture. I was so glad that there was no hard water with this storm.
Looking ahead Saturday is supposed to hit the century mark. Sunday was too but it looks like there may be a reprieve and Sunday may only get to 99. Somehow, not sure why, but saying 100 makes my gray cells want to flow. NOAA hasn’t mentioned yet but Underground is showing rain chances from Monday on. Ah, forecasts are just that, we will cross our fingers and hope their “crystal ball” is based in reality. A moist summer would be nice or even a bi-weekly 1-inch rain storm would be very welcome.
The garden has shown its appreciation for this “mana from heaven” and the growth has been very nice. The heat and moisture are suiting the okra well, more of the okra is maturing each day. With 5 beds I hope to have plenty for the table, enough for Deb to dehydrate and plenty for me to pickle. Finally, the sweet potatoes have filled their beds and give me hope that the harvest will start in August, some of the butternuts are starting to mature. They seem to me to have made the greatest come back from the hail. I did have half a bed give up the ghost and I had to replant. But the rest has filled in nicely. I have been fighting a little iron chlorosis in the new chard/kale bed. This is because there are mature plants mixed in with seedlings that replaced hail thrashed ones. Due to the shallow roots seedlings need to be watered more frequently than the mature plants and thus the iron problem. This will soon pass. Finally, the strawberries are sending out runners. This should fill the bed in nicely. These should give me enough to extend the bed and with any luck start producing strawberries.
The battle with thrips, spider mites, and cucumber beetles continue. It is a little early but I may be winning.

On soooooo many fronts this has been a n extremely challenging year but I am still holding out hopes that the finish will be nothing bur awesome!!! I have been filling some of my canned goods coffers and hope to be offering several veggies soon. Both the onions and garlic have cured and are being cleaned to be put on the table soon.

No comments: