Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

December 14, 2017

Good morning,  I finally got to pull back the fabric and take a look at the veggies.. Considering that it was very warm going into the snow storm and then having a 11. 5 degree morning the day after the storm, I am very impressed. The snow and the fabric saved the day.

I intentionally left some of my older chard bed  and my failed parsnip bed  uncovered. I wanted to see what I could expect with such a temperature swing. I was expecting a chill down into the low twenties not down to 11.5.

Most veggies are hardy to  about 20 uncovered. I have found chard to be very hardy (once it is hardened off). Parsnips are  the most cold tolerant of veggies that is when it has hardened off. Having the snow cover prevented both f these plants from being out right killed. Both of these plants have severe frost burn after all it was 60 plus temperature swing with in 48 hours.

Needless to say the garden was shocked into much slower growth. Last week I harvested just before the cold hit and nothing has really grown very much since. Since this cold front the highs and lows are much reduced. Most mornings there has been a freeze. It is because of this change that the snow has stayed around and took several days for the fabric  to release.

Looking ahead for weather forecasts, Weather underground is predicting more precipitation next week. Right now it is rain but this could  be once of the frozen kind.

This could be problematic for getting my second pea planting in..It is my hope that I can germinate the peas and plant them next week. Once the peas are set to soak there is no turning back. A very interesting game of poker. We will have t  see how lucky I feel. Then again I may wait for Christmas week.

The weather sure does make everything very interesting.

Due to the cool down, bag sales may have duplicates. At this time I fee I can fill any order that comes in, but in the off chance I can't, I will only bill for that portion I do fill.

No comments: