Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, September 18, 2017

September 18, 2017

Ah yes time for a little update on two crop experiments.

First off  sprouting pea seeds and sowing the germinated seed in August appears to have worked better than I thought it would. Even though bed stocking was low at about 50 to 60 percent, I am getting worth while harvests. These harvests have increased  every week too. Yesterday was the beginning of the third week of harvests. I harvest twice a week,Sunday and Thursday. Yesterday  I harvested what the total harvest was last week, about 3 pounds. There is root knot in this bed and so far does not appear to be  impacting the peas too severely. My hope is that they will last until freezing weather. I am clueless on these matters. I will say I am optimistic to tweek the culture and see if stocking and harvests can be further increased.

As for the germinating of parsnips, I had better luck with just sowing the seed and trying to keep the seeds moist. Out of a bed that is 25 feet long , 4 1/2 feet wide. the spacing is 4 inches by 1 foot, there is less than 10 percent that has poked their heads above the soil.this does not encourage me to continue growing parsnips. A fellow gardener is sprouting parsnips and they sowing the seed in pots to be transplanted once the seeds have become plants. this intrigues me, but I will be interested to see how this may effect the roots. I really like parsnips and I may just have to put on my thinking cap and see what I might be able to do. There may be other options but there are some real constraints. maybe I can find a parsnip that is more tolerant of warm weather to germinate. All is not lost with parsnips but the prognosis does not look good.

On the other hand the peas have been a real success. 

No comments: