Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

August 24, 2017

Good morning, first things first, pass the word Martha and Mike Latta will be roasting chilies at market this Saturday. Nothing like the wonderful smell of roasting chilies says fall is on the way.

This year has been a weird one to say the least. I find it odd that tomatoes that I had survive the June heat are just now starting to bloom again. Why this delay is baffling to say the least. I am not seeing any fruit set but blooming is a first step. My replacement toms are starting to bloom also. Maybe there will be fall tomatoes.

Another thing that I find equally puzzling is happening to my new plantings of zucchini. It is a phenomenon that happens in the spring when there is an absence of bees. The female flowers abort unless I personally fertilize them. There may be 25% of the female flowers that get up to size so that their flower petals open. If they make it to this size, they usually get pollinated. The vast majority don't even get very big before they drop off. What is odd the yellow squash in this same bed do not seem to have this problem. I am leaning towards a fertility thing but the old squash bed is experiencing the same thing. Maybe zukes are more finicky than yellow squash. 

It is funny because I never experienced this bloom thingy  both with the toms and the zukes. I guess there is a first thing for everything.

this past Sunday I harvested a handful of peas. they were wonderful in a stir fry. the plants are blooming quite profusely and I hope to be making harvests soon. The pea vines are not as vigorous as winter peas but I am really quite surprised that they are doing as well as they are.

The germinated parsnips are starting to raise their heads above the soil. With luck I will get a well stocked bed. The turnip seedlings are a little unhappy with all the rain and have turned yellow with a shot of iron and nitrogen this should change. I was noticing the same thing in my beans. I think the difference between the turnips and beans is the size of the plants. the turnips are tiny seedlings where as the beans are mature plants and have larger root systems than the turnips.

The first harvest off of the last okra bed has started. this should insure okra way into fall. This variety, Lee, seems to tolerate cooler air temps as long as the soil stays warm. 

All of the fall / winter seedlings are up and will bee transplanted  to the garden soon.

Ah yes exciting times in the garden.

This week I harvested chard, lettuce, kale, green onions, beets, cucumbers, squash. okra, egg plants, and chilies,  In storage there are garlic, onions, butternuts, and sweet potatoes. Please email as to availability. 

No comments: