Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, August 14, 2017

August 14, 2917

It is very strange even though there were a number of insects that were raising their heads early on, there just does not seem to be the population explosion that I expected. Save for a couple of the plants in my cucumber  succession bed there just have not been the swarms I have expected.

I am not sure if this is due to the soil treatments I have been doing for the root knot nematodes, but it is nice not to be constantly having to put out "fires".

It might be the periodic spraying s of cold pressed neem for grasshoppers. I just do not feel Armageddon is at my door step. Probably my biggest pest problem has been aphids on the greens. I keep trying to do control with beneficial insects but it is very hard to maintain a population when it is the leaves that they lay their eggs on that are harvested and thus the beneficial s are harvested too.

Recently I had a chicken that was jumping the fence and getting into the garden. Noting where she was getting in, I have blocked this entry. I am seeing if this may be where the guineas have been getting into the garden as well. I do not see the guineas flying very much, this could be due to their age ( they  have got to be at least 10 years old) It would be nice so that maybe i can remove the covers on my greens. Being able to remove the covers of a night or mornings would make for a less desirable place for aphids to thrive. Even with only two guineas five minutes of free access would be all it would take to destroy the greens.

Having some insect  damage can be  a "proof of purchase" that it is organic but like with all proof of purchase symbols they should be a small symbol on the "box" and not cover the whole side of the box.

No comments: