Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

May 25, 2017

Good morning, I mentioned that I was trying a new root knot nematode (RKN) treatment. I had started this treatment last fall. Because our pump went out and with the well service, things got stirred up in the well and this made it difficult to use my siphon injector. I did not do regular treatments and was not very impressed.

The well has since settled down and I have started to make regular treatments. This week will be the second installment. It is interesting to note that my bean bed that just about got fried from the last freeze Is making a dramatic comeback. A couple things of note last year I grew cucumbers in this bed. The eastern portion is more or less RKN free whereas the western is pretty infected. These plants are shorter and their crowns did not fill the bed. After the last treatment, I am impressed with these infected beans. Even with the freeze damage their canopy has nearly filled the bed and their height has increased. My first okra bed is not showing as good of results. I am not sure if this was a more infected bed or that okra is more susceptible to RKN. It will be interesting to monitor the results from this second treatment. I do notice that the flea beetles or wreaking havoc on the okra in this bed too. To help the okra I may need to apply some neem oil to kill and chase off the flea beetles. It is helpful after such a treatment to cover the plants, but some of the okra are too tall to allow me to do this. Such as it is!

Originally, I was advised to do the initial treatments a week apart and then go with additional treatments every 30 days. But I was unable to do this due to the well being unsettled. Now that this is not a problem, I am going with the closest application rate and see what happens.

RKN are an ongoing problem and have been a cause for the production in the garden decreasing. Time will tell if this new treatment will work. I am hopeful. It is interesting that the main ingredient is Thyme oil. The days I chemigate it sure makes the garden smell nice.

This RKN treatment is also works on soil fungi too. In years past I have noticed on some of my sweet potatoes that I get what is called scurf. It is a soil borne fungus and causes the sweets to have a russeted appearance on the skins. This does not affect the flavor but it does affect the look and storability. It lets the sweet dehydrate quicker and the spuds get wrinkled. This year I soaked the sets in Actinovate (a natural fungicide) and then with the RKN treatment, I wait to see what happens at harvest time. It is interesting to note that ALL of the unrooted cuttings I planted last year did not develop scurf. So, I do not know if this came from the grower of my sets or is something that is just in my soil. No clue! So much I do not know about soil.

This week I harvested chard, kale, lettuce, carrots, beets, peas, beans, cucumbers, summer squash, and tomatoes. Please email me as to prices and availability.

No comments: