Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 18, 2017

Good morning, it is very interesting to note that I had thought most of the damage from the last freeze was only leaf burn and little else. I have observed a little more extensive damage that is only now showing itself. 

I knew that my yellow squash had several very immature fruits abort from getting frosted. I expected it because this fruiting area on the yellow squash was touching the fabric. I have started to notice this in the zucchini too. It is strange that these young fruits are located close to the base of each plant, near the ground and covered with a canopy of leaves along with the fabric.

This is not the first time I have noticed strange freezing behavior. Earlier this winter we had one of those events where the day before the cold front was warm and real windy. I was unable to cover my potato plants and the bed got froze. The strange thing was that not all the plants got hit. There was no pattern to indicate there was a warmer area in the bed. It was just a random hit here and there throughout the bed. Very strange.

On a larger scale when a large rain event moves into the area, quite often the clouds are not evenly saturated with moisture. Here at the garden I might get a tenth of an inch and Sul Ross campus will have a huge cloud burst and water running everywhere.  This as the crow flies might be a mile away and visible from the garden. This too I find strange.

Man would like to think he is in control but he is but child’s play to the forces of nature. I am in awe!!

This week I harvested chard, kale, carrots, lettuce, beets, summer squash, cucumbers, and green beans. Please email as to availability

No comments: