Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Januray 2, 2017

Avalanche column December 8, 2016


It has been a few years back that I started using a temporary green house through the winter.

The reason for a temporary greenhouse is because the greenhouse season is so short in Far West Texas (from the middle of November until the middle of February). Some years it is even shorter.

Even during this greenhouse season there can be warm sunny days where the need to vent becomes crucial, otherwise the plants would literally cook.

I have used fabric for many years and have tested it under as many different conditions as I can. What I have found is that it keeps plants warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. This is even true with the real heavy fabric during the summer. Who would think that putting on a down parka on in 100 degree heat would cool you. I am not sure how it does this but it is true.

My temporary greenhouse is very simple to make. This year I have altered the construction somewhat.

In years past I have only used my heavy agribon 70 fabric. This year I have one bed that is using 3 layers of Agribon 19. This appears to be working and is only a couple degrees warmer than the single layer of 70.

The construction consists of 9 gauge wire hoops over my 4.5 foot beds spaced every 4 feet. The hoop curve is about 2 feet high. Over the hoops is spread a sheet of greenhouse film. Regular store bought plastic will deteriorate too quickly for this use. There needs to be at least 1 foot of film on the ground on all sides. The fabric then covers the film along with the foot on the ground. The film fabric then needs to be anchored . I use rocks. This will not work if the film is on the outside. The plants will bake. This film fabric arrangement does not need to be vented unless the temperature exceeds 70 degrees on a regular basis.

Some interesting temperature facts: on a 11.5 degree morning the inside temperature was 25 degrees. On 60 degree days the inside temperature gets into the mid 80's. But on an 80 degree day it was 100 degrees. As for normal winter conditions there is not much of a temperature swing and it does not freeze inside the greenhouse. I do want to purchase an indoor / outdoor thermometer with a bury-able prob to see what kind of soil temperature gain that is achieved.

Most years I have not sown seeds during my “greenhouse” season but I am experimenting to see if it will work. Sowing in my regular beds stunts the plant growth and seeds sown in late February surpass these winter sown seeds. This will be interesting. If the soil is warmed by the greenhouse, this could change everything.

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com




No comments: