Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

January 19, 2017


Good morning, I remember that winters can have quite large swings in temperatures but this winter sure does seem to take the prize. It sure would be nice if it would hover in the 40 to 60 degree range.

Last week we were getting record high temps, so I thought it wise to check the veggies under the temporary greenhouses. Sure enough there was some sun scald. So I pulled the film back. As I did this I noticed on the north sides of the beds there was some freezer burn. And once again the temps are falling back to where I had to recover with the film.

The temperature swings seem to be crazy but the film is really helping to keep those beds much more moderated than the non-greenhouse beds. The fabric covered film works wonderfully until the temps surpass 75. 70 is questionable, but last week we were at the doorstep of 80. These temperatures for the first half of January? Crazy!!!

Long range forecasts, NOAA says we have a equal chance of having a decent rainy season. Time will tell. In the mean time I am making a concerted effort to have plenty of compost to mulch my beds on hand. Something I was a bit delinquent with last year. I am planning for a warm dry spring with a hot summer. Hopefully not as hot as last July. For now I am sure enjoying the rain. This last rain we got 34 hundredths with a yearly total approaching 1/2 inch. Nice for the “dry season”!!

Iam looking forward to using the agribon 70 on a tomato bed this year. I have noticed that it does have a cooling effect, most likely because it is white. This will be interesting. Not sure why I have not done this before. No better time than the present.

I must note that Deb has set up a facebook page for Red Wagon Farm. It is my intent to post regularly and also to exhibit more photos of the garden. If you have not been to the site I hope you go visit. Yes a work in progress.

Wednesday was harvest day, albeit a slow start with the near freezing temps and fog. I usually split the harvest for Wednesday and Thursday but Thursday is forecast to be a wind storm. 2O to 30 MPH with gusts to 45, starting around 9AM. I dislike wind almost as bad as hail. Such is life in Far West Texas.

I was able to harvest chard, kale, spinach, asian greens, turnip greens, lettuce, carrots, green onions, radish's, broccoli, turnips, sun chokes, and in storage sweet potatoes. Please email for availability.


No comments: