Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

December 22, 2016


Good morning, yes we are having a bit of that Far West Texas Sine Curve winter weather. 80's one day only to be followed by the teens. This is difficult for critters and especially veggies. At least for the most part critters can get out of the weather and into “protected” locations. That is except for the ducks, they seem to enjoy that inclement weather although they did not much care for the wind. Who does?

f it were not for using agriculture fabric in the garden, winter gardening and even in some occasions summer gardening, would be very difficult to pull off.

Most unprotected veggies “bite the bullet” at 20 degrees. In the best of outcomes they are very severely frost burned. It can be questionable if it would be worth while to nurse them back to health.

Like with so many weather events I thank my lucky stars that I discovered Agribon fabric. It almost makes gardening easy. Of course after one learns how to use this invaluable tool.

If I make sure that all of the fabric is tight to the ground and is not touching any leaves, I can survive some intense events. This proved true a few years back when we had a late May freeze. My only mortality or plant burn was from these two”infractions”. The prevention of air gaps under the fabric is easier to deal with than the fabric touching plants. To correct for the touching of the fabric, the fabric needs to be pulled back and hoops straightened. This can be difficult during a wind storm that precedes a freezing event. O f these two problems the air gaps are the most lethal. The plants usually can grow out of tip burn.

I look forward to harvest this week. I am sure, like so many times after such an event, I will be amazed at what looks to be light shear fabric can protect everything underneath it so well. Who would of thought what this stuff can do, be it hot or cold.

As expected those plants that were touching the fabric got burned. This was the case inside my temporary greenhouses too. My boc choy with two layers of 19 seemed to be the hardest hit. A note to self would be to add at least one more layer. My broccoli is starting to head but was not hurt although that leaf touch thing clobbered them.

With a week or two of nicer weather some of my greens beds will allow larger harvest. This will also help with the broccoli florets and my kohlrabi. I also see that the beets are getting close to being a nice size too. And yes I have started the Jerusalem artichoke harvest. Funny how I like to wait until the middle of winter to star this harvest that I am noticing they are trying to start to grow.

What a strange year this has been!!!


No comments: