Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, November 3, 2016

November 3, 2016


Good morning, this week the ghost in the closet raised its ugly head.

I had not watered before market on Saturday so when I got home I fired up a normal setting of beds to water.

It was a bit surprising to find that there was no water pressure to make coffee when I woke up in the morning. Not conducive for the thinking that needed to follow!

Well off to the fuse box to see if fuses were blown (nope) and then out to the well house to see if a hose was running (nope), then to check the filter (plum full of sediment) very puzzled?

Changed the filter and the flow was back.

Once it got light and the fowl were all set to their daily routines, I headed to the garden to do some further watering. The pump was still running and the pressure was sitting a little more than 30 psi. Humm. First thoughts was worn impellers on the pump. So filled the pressure tank as well as it could, turned pump off, and then recharged as needed. It was also back to hose end watering for short duration's.

Sunday evening I did a google search on trouble shooting a submersible pump. Besides there being worn impellers under the heading of “not coming to pressure” was a faulty pressure switch. Even though I had very recently replaced it, I felt this would be cheaper than a well service. Replaced it. The pump still would only build up to 30 +/- psi. I believe there may have been some enhanced vocabulary at this point!!

Not having a sounder I did not know what water levels were in the well. I will be very interested what the static water level is. The last time I sounded the well it was 75 feet. Some other observations when I the well has been drawn down the fuses blow and I find sand in the filter. With this episode the sediment is very fine, it completely covers the filter and the pump still runs.

It is my hope that the well has not failed. And what I hope I am seeing (with my very very limited submersible pump knowledge) is the pump is stirring up sediment because of faulty impellers. It is my hope fthat it is this fine sediment that is is being sucked up into the pressure tank. I intend to call Coleman Well Service for an appointment. Contacted Mr. Coleman he will be by Wednesday afternoon.

Pump died Wednesday morning and Mr. Coleman got hung up on a job and was unable to come by on Wednesday. He will try to come by a t noon Thursday. Luckily there is supposed to be a rain event happening the next few days

Am I anxious yet?

It does seem that from late summer to present there have been an abundance of distractions. My stocking of beds is not what I hoped it would be. 2016 has been a good year on some fronts but by an large I am ready for it to be over so that maybe 2017 will start with a clean slate!

So far so good with garden produce. Please email with your desires.


No comments: