Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

November 24, 2016


Good morning, Since it is Thanksgiving there will not be any deliveries on Friday.

Boy howdy the first freeze was a real dozy. I had everything covered and figured that the ground warmth would help with preventing frost damage. The overnight low was 23.8. This effectively ended the harvest of any of my remaining summer veggies. The okra being at 6 to 8 feet was on its own. I did find where I did have 2 layers of 70 there still was green right at ground level. I do have one tomato plant that was under a heavy quilt that came through with flying colors.

This cold snap really slowed the garden but with warming this will change. Now that we have had a freeze I do not think it will shock the plants as much. Or at least let's hope so!!

t was a good run. As strange as this year has been, having the first freeze being a very hard freeze just fits in with the rest of the year.

Looking forward to winter weather. NOAA is showing a strengthening La Nina. This will make a warmer and dryer winter. I can live without Ice. Although I do want to try an experiment sometime and place greenhouse film down before an ice or snow storm. The moisture is good but my thoughts are can I keep the soil warmer by not having ice melt that penetrates deeply into the soil. In my mind this would work. The use of well water would be what ever temperature it is in the ground. Not 32 degrees.

Next week I will do the next application of Promax. This is the thyme oil extract that I hope to help me combat root knot nematode. This next application will be followed with soil microorganism booster. Then just before spring planting there will be another double application of promax followed by the soil booster. This will be interesting.

Last year I applied Azagaurd every two weeks up until the rains started. The new product should be less intense. I did not see as many very galled roots this year and I hope to see even fewer next year. This new product is supposed to not only kill the nematodes but also encourage new roots to replace infected ones. Proof will be in the pudding!!

Be sure to place your orders and I will have your veggies at market. I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!


No comments: