Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

September 22. 2016


Good morning, It is really quite a contrast with comparing last year to this year.

By this time last year we had 3 layers of butternut squash under our bed. This year there is one layer on one side of the bed. Last year I finished my first crops of tomatoes and the plants started their second bloom with a bountiful fall harvest. The toms never fully recovered from the July stress. There were fewer “snake like” sweet potatoes last year. This year there are an abundance. This with leaf burn on the okra are very good indicators that I was not watering enough.

I feel all of these observations are symptoms of how hot and dry it was in July. I hope that my fall greens and Cole crops are very productive otherwise items for bag sales or veggies for market will be greatly decreased.

A good note since the ground squirrel is not around I have not had any sweets destroyed by rodents (so far, there still are 2 beds to be dug).

In years past if root knot nematodes attached a sweet crown, all of the tubers were effected. This year since I used the refined neem oil product, the effected tubers (so far) are much fewer. Although there are a number of sweets that have russet like skins. This does not effect the flavor but it does effect store-ability. These will be the first to be sold. I intentionally planted a sweets in a known root knot bed just so I could see how the neem product performed. This will be the next bed to be harvested.

I have made the observation that when I stopped chemigating with the neem product was when I started seeing Root Knot mortality. During August with all the moisture, I felt it unwise to add more water with chemigation. It is unlikely that we will have another August like this past one (in the near future) but I think I will chemigate regardless.

On another note the time to start my bulb onion seeds is hastily approaching. It is hard to believe that September is half over and That October 31 ( sowing date) is just about here.

Since the summer rush and canning season is just about over it is nice to know things will be calming down soon. What a ride this summer has been!!!!!

No comments: