Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, September 19, 2016

September 19, 2016

Avalanche column
September 8, 2016



Yes I do remember having a column about when one recognizes that they have a weed problem. I have known about this for some time and have only been able to watch it grow.

You might say it has been a comedy of errors and it is time to pay the “piper”’

Now it is not a total ransacked mess but for me I am a bit displeased with how this all got to be here.

Sooo, even though it is the top of canning season, and I do need to prepare for fall / winter crops, build compost piles, clean out he chicken coops ……..and the list goes on.

Now there are not any 6 foot tall giants but there are a lot in excess of one to two feet. So after repeating the serenity prayer I am plugging away a little at a time.

Since we are getting regular rains, just hula hoeing and letting the plants desiccate will not work (you need sun and heat for this to work).

So the game plan is to pull the weeds in the beds and feed them to the chickens or compost. Then I will hula hoe the paths and rake up the weeds. Here again they are fed or composted.

If I were to leave them lay, most would reroot and we would back at square one.

Yes once the rains began we just have not had that break where I could break away and do some serious weed abatement.

Yes I will get ahead on this “weed problem” but what will be the real consequence for not keeping ahead of my little green “friends” is now I have gotten a huge new supply of weed seed to contend with.

Yes one step at a time and things will be brought back into control.

You “gotta” love agriculture, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com


No comments: