Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

October 30, 2014


Good morning, Deb recently forwarded this blog site to me.
It does have some very good information pertaining to veggie seeds. I especially like the germination chart that lists most of the veggies that are commonly grown. This particular chart is immensely beneficial to anyone who may want to get into season extension or even winter gardening. I have mentioned that the lower the minimal germination temp is the better the chance that that veggie is a good candidate for winter gardening
We are getting towards the end of the “gravy” time of fall where seeds germinate very easily and plants can get well established very quickly. Through trial and error I have found sowing seed much past the first week of November doesn’t work very well. I do sow my bulb onion seed during this week. This allows for well rooted seedlings that will stay under ¼ inch and make wonderful transplants for the end of February.
It is getting very close to the time when I will erect my temporary greenhouses that will have the film covered with fabric. This worked very well with my heavy Agribon 70 fabric through last winter. Because I will need to keep an extra heavy blanket available for any deep freeze that could damage my cauliflower and broccoli crops, I will not have enough 70 to cover all of my temporary greenhouses. I intend to see how two or three layers of 19 will work. There will be a total of 6 of these green houses. I hope that this works very well. Time will tell.
I would like to share some interesting viewings from my blog site. The very surprising thing is that most of the views within the last week were from Poland and Turkey. There were a total of 31 viewings, with the US being a distant third. I have noticed Poland and Russia are the most common viewing countries but there has been Canada, France, Denmark, and Great Britain too. To date there have been over 1000 viewings. I guess I am easily entertained.
It is nice to see my fall greens are starting to come on. This will be the first week to list radishes, Asian greens and broccoli raab greens. Broccoli raab florets are still a couple months out. The green kohlrabi is starting to bulb up and the fall peas are up too. This weekend I plan to plant my garlic bed and seed my bulb onion bed. It is nice to see the change of seasons!!

No comments: