Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23, 2014


This is the last week that I will be posting to the Yahoo group site. You will be able to read my weekly email at my blog site or to receive an email that you can order veggies from, please look at the addresses that follow later in this email.
Last week was a real wild ride The Little Brown Dog got rolled by the truck and received some cuts and a very sore body for a day or two and then acted like nothing happened. Myself five stitches an immensely swollen hand a week of healing and I am almost where I was week ago Tuesday. Oh this too will pass. I appreciated every ones kind words for the both of us.
Good morning, I have used soil solarization several times. This organic treatment is very labor intensive to do but the benefits are well worth the effort. Here in West Texas there is only one time period during the year when it is most effective and that is during the months of May and June. These are our most sunny and hottest months.
What soil solarization does is heat the top 6 to 8 inches of soil to 120 - 130 degrees. This affectively sterilizes this portion of the soil horizon. It kills everything or causes critters to move out. Once the treatment is completed this soil is quickly recolonized with beneficial soil microbes and this really boosts soil fertility. This also can boost a farm’s production quantities.
The main reason I have done it is to combat root knot nematodes (RKN).  RKN females enter the roots of plants and cause galls or root knots to form. The galls are the results of egg laying and feeding on the roots. Fortunately RKN are very slow movers in the soil, by their own mobility they will move less than three feet a year. Man is probably the biggest transporter of RKN. Contaminated farming equipment can transport them miles away. Just hosing off farm equipment can slow their spread immensely.
When I was unaware of my “little garden friends”, I inadvertently spread them to more beds. This has slowed with my awareness. I have observed RKN in 13 of my 32 beds. I have not noticed any new contamination in a year. This has been achieved by washing off tools in the bed I just finished preparing for planting.
I have also slowed the spread by mapping the contamination sites within a bed. When I prep a bed, I work from clean areas toward contaminated. The use of compost has helped too. This introduces into the soil bacteria that are unfriendly to RKN. The planting of certain crops can also slow their colonization.  The mustard family that includes broccoli and friends, produce natural nemicides when they decompose. Garlic and onions also are unfriendly to them. I planted a very infected bed to garlic last fall and this summer was then planted to summer squash. When I pulled and examined the roots, I did notice a fair amount of root galling. Even so this bed did produce squash quite nicely.
These are a lot of different means to combat RKN but soil solarization smokes all these techniques hands down. Like I said it is very labor intensive or I would do it more.
How it is done; the bed is prepped just like it is going to be planted. This is done so the soil will not be disturbed after the process. The bed needs to be well watered so that heat will be transported down into the soil. Once the bed is prepped, a six inch trench is dug around the bed. This is the big labor thing because my beds are up to 4.5 feet wide and 46 feet long. It is very important that the bed is extremely flat. Clear plastic is laid down over the bed. It is then stretched tight and the edge of the plastic is covered by the refilling of the trench. This is important so that the day time heat is not lost. Once the plastic is in place sit back and let it cook, the longer the better. I try for 8 weeks during May and June.
Once the process is completed the plastic is taken off, trench refilled. You then need to be very careful not to disturb the bed more than you have to when you plant it. Disturbance could bring RKN back to the surface.
I think it is important to note that not all plastics are equal. I would not use off the shelf  store bought plastic. THIS product will start to disintegrate into small pieces before the process is done. (Experience!). You need to use greenhouse film. Available at G & M Ag Supply, Johnny’s selected seeds, and Peaceful Valley Farm Supply to name a few suppliers.
Of my 13 infected beds I have solarized 5 or 6. Of these beds only one I have noticed an influx of RKN. The others seem to be RKN free but the positions where the RKN were are still noted so that I can check to see if the RKN are making a resurrection.
This is soil solarization in a nut shell; check out the site listed below for more information on solarization.
The summer veggies are just about gone. There are jalapenos, some chili’s, eggplant, beans and okra. The toms are all but finished, first the root knot nematodes then the western yellowing disease (transmitted by white flies), pin worms, powdery mildew.
It is interesting to note that this is the first year ever that I have had mildew on the toms and some chili’s. I think this is an indication that we have experienced very high humidity this year with a very stubborn high pressure that did not allow thunder storms to develop except when we had disturbances in the atmosphere to allow for convection to develop.  
Anyway with the white flies and pin worms covering with fabric is the best prevention but not having the covers on is the best prevention of mildew.
Research has shown me that pin worm moths fly at night. I have not seen for white flies if they have a less active time.
Systemically administered Neem products would protect for the pin worms. It would also control the white flies too but… if my logic is correct it is the feeding that transmits the virus similar to mosquitoes and malaria. The bug is dead but it has passed on its “care package”. So covering is the best prevention. Baking soda and neem oil (either one cold pressed or clarified) works very well at controlling mildew but I have also noticed that neem oil on peppers will cause flowers to abort. It is always something!!!
On an interesting note here is a link to a site about a documentary movie on urban agriculture. It fits very nicely into my thoughts that everyone should grow some food even if it is just one container with a tomato. The article also notes that the movie will be on PBS later this fall. Have a look.     http://ecowatch.com/2014/10/20/urban-farming-revitalize-america/?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=c1bb8ac3e2-Top_News_10_21_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-c1bb8ac3e2-85338065

No comments: