Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, February 7, 2019

February 7, 2019

Good morning,yesterday  it was nice to see the greens in the garden actually grow enough to have a reasonable harvest. After all it is still February. Looking forward there does not appear to be any deep freeze coming out way. I am glad that arctic vortex staid clear of our area.
This weekend I will start hardening off my first tomatoes to go into the garden. It is hard to believe that January is already through.  By the middle of the month the garden season will kick into full gear. Bulb onions will be transplanted, strawberry bed runners will be divided so that. I plan to expand the bed. I did get a little of a preview on size and flavor last summer. The flavor is very good and for ever bearing strawberries they are bigger  than most that I have seen.
With the recent warmer weather I expect the peas to start blooming. Most years I do not try to sow seeds during the winter months because most years those seeds get stunted and mid February sowings out perform. This year all the seeds I have sown are performing nicely. With this I have been able to fill out the greens beds. It also looks like radish's  are ready to harvest and at least in the near future there will also be some turnip greens. I have not divided the greens yet so I am not sure of quantities but I did harvest Asian greens, spinach, kohlrabi, boc choi, carrots and some chard an kale. Please place your orders and I will do my best to fill them.

No comments: