Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

August 16, 2018

Good morning,  I had sown some germinated peas, this did not work out as well as last year. I will wait for my normal time to sow. This will be in October. Hopefully the soil will be cooler. I did plant two beds of beans and they all are up and looking very nice. With luck there will be beans starting in late September. Maybe a little sooner. As expected the cukes and summer squash slowed way down. The quantity discount on cucumbers is discontinued unless warmer weather pushes the cucumber production over the top. Three or four pounds a day is manageable. My last planting of tomatoes is doing well. They are blooming and have set fruit.
This has been a real challenging year   what with the freeze, hail, and the intense heat. The butternuts were set back pretty severely with the hail. This is showing with the second bloom and fruit set. Time will tell but it is not looking like we will have near as many for winter storage. Although with my eggplants, they are beginning to look better. They have been infested with a nasty outbreak of flea beetles. Normally I get them when I mulch the ground. This year I never did get them mulched and the flea beetles were over the top. Also, in previous years the beetles have only been cosmetic. Not so this year. I do find it interesting that a couple of my other sprays just did not work but what appears to have chased the beetles off was a spray of fermented garlic cloves. I have found that this potion has worked miracles in the past too.
The fall brassicas have been sown, I did this inside the house this year. This way I hope to foil the harvester ants. With luck I will have well stocked beds.
Powdery mildew hit early this year, like always I can beat it back but it always prevails in the end. I suspect because it started showing in July it is affecting most of my cucurbits. That is except my Yellow squash which is a mildew resistant OP and has no mildew on any of its leaves.
I do find it funny that Heat loving okra does not mind the air cooling as long as the soil is warm. As the other summer veggies have slowed with this past cool down the okra have continued to produce. With luck all the way up to frost.
By this time of year, I am looking forward to the season change and the intensity in the garden slowing too.
All said things are pretty good.

Follows is a list of what I am growing, please email as to availability and prices. Chard, kale, green onions, carrots, lettuce, okra, tomatoes, chilies (several varieties), eggplant, butternut squash, garlic, beets, bulb onions, cucumbers, summer squash, sweet potatoes, snow peas (October?) and beans (new planting for fall, late September?). Also, there is volunteer basil and dill.

No comments: