Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, May 3, 2018

May 3, 2018

Good morning, what a wonderful sight and feeling to get rain after being so dry for so long.  All day long Sunday I was glued to my weather sites anticipating. Watching the clouds build and seeing rain all around us. It was interesting to see very little mention of severe weather and its side kick hail. Having dropped the ball with the last freeze, the garden was well tucked in for this event. Spring rain in West Texas, there is always the chance of hail.
Finally, the rain arrived!! It did start slow and then built in intensity. It never got to frog choker intensity. This was nice because the ground is so dry and it would have all gone into Moss creek. I never saw any of it flow and what a wonderful sight to see puddles in the drive.
As expected there was that sharp ping on the meatal roof. Sure enough hail! A few 1/2-inch sized ones, but most of it was large gravel sized. Best of all it did not last long.
I think one of the best things was how the rain cooled everything down but especially the blissful smell of precipitation in the desert. I was in seventh heaven!!!!
I was soooo hoping that it would last all night but after it was all said and done we had a quarter inch more than what we had the day before. Best of all it looks like there are more rain chances in the near future!!!!
As for the garden, the next day it seemed to have a vibrant glow to it. I especially noticed this in the zucchini plants.
After most of the female blossoms being frozen the zukes have recovered and I will be pollinating them until the bees arrive. I have also seen female flowers on the yellow squash too. It is my hope to start adding zukes to bags next week and on the table at market the following week. Or at least we can always hope. There are 3/4 -inch beans and both male and female flowers on the cucumbers. The garlic is real close. The right number of lower leaves have browned but digging a blub will be prudent. There were a few peas harvested out of my second bed. This bed was very under stocked with plants but the spacing was evenly spaced across the bed. Time will tell how productive this bed is.
It was a pleasant surprise to see that I finally got a nice germination of parsnips. They will grow all summer and be harvested next winter when it gets “cold” and they sweeten. I am anxious that they do not get huge. For the last few years it has just been too hot in the fall to start parsnips. I even tried germinating and then sowing. I guess you could say “been there got that “t” shirt. The plants that did emerge were not worth that added effort.

Over all the garden is doing nicely even with my “frosty” misstep.

No comments: