Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, February 5, 2018

February 5, 2018

Wow!!! what a wild ride last week was. I am glad all I got was a real bad head cold and not the Flu. Caught that once up in Oregon and have gotten flu shots ever sense. Knock on wood THAT has been the only time I have ever gotten the flu. Way more than a life times worth of memories from that one time. It is nice to be rejoining the living.


My seeds from my December sowing are all looking real nice. First batch of toms are hardening off for a middle of February planting. Of course I will be ever watchful of any severe freezing weather that may change these plans.

Chilies, eggplants and the rest of the garden will go in the first week of March. Tried forcing okra and it is adamant about cool soil , It does not like it. Sweet slips are set to arrive the middle of April. The same time I sow the okra.

This year I plan to continue the use of Promax, the thyme oil concoction for my pet RKN (root knot nematodes). This is injected about every 14 days. Too this oil I am going to add Azaguard (a nemacide) and Actinovate ( a natural fungicide that studies have shown to inhibit RKN). When I set out the seedlings I will do a soil drench with cold pressed neem oil.

Last year the Promax did wonders on the RKN but both the toms and okra seemed to be most effected. I looked for RKN resistant okra to no avail. This is why I tried sowing germinated seed early so that there could be bigger healthy plants but it seems RKN gets activated is soils that Okra like to germinate and grow in. As for the toms I have found some hybrids that are resistant. to RKN. I am planting both determinate and indeterminate toms to see how they perform. If the hybrids do well against the RKN I may go forward with grafting my favorite toms to RKN resistant root stock.

So lots of interesting things coming down the pike.

No comments: