Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, November 6, 2017

November 6, 2017

In my garden and especially on the eastern edge there is a caliche  layer. The depth of soil to the layer varies from 6 inches below the surface (on the east side) to (in some places) 18 inches + below the surface.

It is a dream I have of ripping the garden some day. I have no idea when this would happen since some portion of the garden is always in production.

I have attempted to grow asparagus in the front yard. This was working well until we let the chickens go free range. Originally we let them into the front yard because we had a bind weed problem. It has been a few years and the asparagus that is planted in the front yard is getting dust bathed to death. Some day I will fence the chickens out of the front yard. That is once I find that "roundtuit".  

In the meantime once the asparagus goes dormant I plan to lift it and move it to the garden proper.

As mentioned above I have some shallow soiled areas in the garden primarily on the east side. I have given up trying to cultivate the shallower soil areas because it is hard to keep hydrated.

Asparagus is a perennial plant and I could mulch the dickens out of their locations that are located at the end of the drip tubing. So these areas would receive regular watering.

In my mind this could make areas of the garden that are not productive, productive.

The beauty of this is I would not have to attempt to dig where it is very difficult.

With any luck this may be another crop that I could have for sale.

In the past I have had folks ask if I grow asparagus. I have said yes but I do not have it for sale. I never have figured out why but saying I grow something that is NOT for sale really cross threads some folks. Deb and I love asparagus and have had barely enough for us. Once the asparagus is transplanted it will be a couple years  but who knows we might have enough for sale. This would make a lot of people real happy.

No comments: