Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, October 5, 2017

October 5, 2017

Good morning, an interesting observation of a destructive insect in the garden. This bug peaked  with its destructiveness a few years back and seems to be on a gradual decline. This bug is the wire worm, also the larvae of the click beetle. Most of the damage is on the outside edges of the garden very little in the interior of the garden. I believe the most infected bed I have found is the sun choke bed (last years harvest).

The damage is always to tubers. There are two times of the year that they are active 
spring and fall when the soil cools into the 60's. Large holes that are callused over indicate spring attack where as small holes indicate a fall attack. 

There was a time when there were a lot of holey  sweet potatoes, this is a less common thing anymore.

Why the decline I am not too sure. The only bed where I have found real small wire worms was in the sun choke bed. Most of the wire worms that I find as I harvest any of my tubers are large ( 1 inch plus). It takes  up to 5 years for them to mature. I seldom find adult click beetles in the garden anymore..

The damage for the most part is cosmetic and makes the appearance less sell-able but has no effect on the taste. Although any more I do not get complaints about these holes.

There has been very little that I have done to manage these bugs. They are common in native grassland (of which my garden is surrounded). I suspect that the damage I see is from stray larvae that enter the edges. 

It is nice to see a bug that seems to be on a decline because the conditions for a full blown infection just seems to be getting less suitable with time. Grass seems to be the big draw for adult click beetles and there just is not to much of that in the garden.

So none the less I am grateful for small miracles that seem to take care of them selves. 

Summer veggies continue their decline This could very easily be the last week for cukes and summer squash. I do see some new blooms on the eggplants. If it remains warm, there might be some more eggplant harvests. I do have fall greens planted and with luck as the summer veggies decline the the greens will fill the holes.

Transition periods are always interesting. With luck this one will go smoothly. 

No comments: