Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, June 19, 2017

June 19, 2017

With the recent heatwave the expected has happened, the garden has shut down. Afternoon highs have reached near or above the century mark.

When I harvested on Friday There was a single zucchini. I am seeing many female flowers either not maturing or just aborting and falling off the plants.

The cucumbers and okra, so far, have not been effected but Friday’s high was just a little over 106. It was brief but it hovered around 105 for some time. It is like splitting hairs 105 /106, once over one hundred it is just plain Hot!! Saturdays high was not much better at 104.

My tomatoes have set fruit and are of mature sizes, so the heat should only hasten their ripening. On Thursday, I noticed that the first bed of toms had started to sprout new foliage. This happens on determinate tomatoes when the fruit are almost completely harvested. Last year the fruit ripening and “regrowth” happened a month later and last July was an extremely hot dry month. Instead of the regrowth, most of my tomato plants just faded away and died. I am hoping that the first bed has enough new foliage to make it through this heat wave. This year I do have a beds worth of replacement tomatoes for “just in case” reasons. When I harvested this Sunday not only did I see new growth but also flowers. With any luck, these flowers will take. I will know when I harvest the next time (this coming Thursday)


I am grateful that I did manage to get all my beds mulched and this has helped me to keep everything hydrated a lot easier. Last July because of “nude” beds it was very difficult to keep everything hydrated.  

No comments: