Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, April 17, 2017

April 24, 2017

At one time, it was thought that if you did not subscribe to traditional agriculture and went organic that you were at the mercy of Mother Nature and your veggies would be pathetic under nourished bug ridden and un-sellable.

Today we know how far from the truth this is. I remember one time at the market there was a lady who at the time kinda tweaked me even though in her mind she was complimenting me. She could not believe my veggies were organic because they looked so perfect like store bought veggies. I was much younger and I should have let it pass. But this exchange notes what public thoughts are about organic gardening.

For me, I will destroy a crop before I will use traditional pest techniques. We as gardeners are not at the mercy of mother nature. We have a huge library of accessible knowledge to fall back upon. One of the resources I use is


Check out this web site I have found it to be invaluable. This is a USDA sustainable agriculture program.

This next list I would love to print out in its entirety but this list is huge. It is a partial list noting what Pesticides and treatments are available to Certified Organic Farmers. Here again check it out.


Since gardening in Alpine there has only been two years that I felt I was completely over run with bugs. Both of these times were learning experiences. The first was when I still worked for the Texas Forest Service and was un able to clean up the garden immediately after a hail event.  My cucurbit crops by the weekend were inundated with cucumber beetles and my eggplants were covered with blister beetles. All the damaged and decaying vegetation was a huge calling card. Cleanup after a hail storm is mandatory ASAP! The second event involved my cucurbits again. Only this time it was with squash bugs. Hand picking squash bugs from several dozen butternut squash, melons, cucumbers along with summer squash was futile. It was the ATTRA site that led me to the use of Cold Pressed Neem Oil. This site and more research told me that cold pressed could be used on hundreds of bugs. Because the neem oil was not the agent of death but hormones within the oil caused the bugs to stop feeding an and molting with death soon following. The mortality is caused by the hormones and bugs cannot build up an immunity to cold pressed neem oil.

The ATTRA site has also taught me that cold pressed by itself is minimally effective on cucumber beetles but mixing cold pressed 50/50 with karanja oil and the beetles are more readily controlled.
There are many more organic plant protection sites on the web but the ATTRA site is one of my favorites.


Good luck and happy gardening! 

No comments: