Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 23, 2017


 
Good morning, I have three thermometer registers in the garden. One is in the open, one is under Agribon 70 that has18 inch high hoops and then one under two layers of 19 that is less than 12 inches high.
The agribon 19 with 2 layers consistently is the warmest bed and is usually 10 degrees warmer than the agribon 70 bed. It is also interesting that the 70 bed is 10 degrees warmer than the outside temperature. The outside temperature was in the high 50's.

My registers also record the relative humidity. The low hoops has always recorded a higher humidity than the high hoops. This real neat stuff because it confirms something that I have always felt.

When I first started using fabric, after I had either sown seed or planted seedlings I would raise the fabric to 18 inch height. My germination and seedling survival were pitiful. I just could not keep it moist enough for germination or seedling survival.

Pretty quickly I would sow or plant then lay fabric directly over the plants or sown bed. This remained so until the seeds had germinated or I felt the seedling had started to grow. The length of time that this remains on the ground also is reflective of how windy it is. Wind can a braid any seedling under the fabric.

The next position, the hoops are raised 4 to 6 inches. Once the seedling touch the fabric, the fabric is raised to 18 inches. Unless there is some other factor (such as insects under the covers) this technique provides for well stocked beds.

My above temperature and humidity readings confirm all of this. This was all recorded on a day with a temperature below 60 degrees. I am seeing that Weather Underground is predicting temps in the 80's in the very near future. I am curious to see what the readings will be. I have thoughts of what it will be but I will wait and see what happens.

Originally when I started using fabric, I only used it during the cold time of year. This is by far how it is traditionally used.
When I first started growing tomatoes in Alpine I would try and ripen them to full ripeness on the vine. In places where tomato thieves (birds, insects...) this is easily done. In Aline at the first sign of color these little orbs become magnets to these thieves. I quickly found that the use of fabric is a great exclusion barrier. As long as the fabric is in good shape, all of the above mentioned critters are excluded. These covers stay on unless the bed is being harvested or other bed work is being performed.

I find it interesting that most fabric suppliers have a lighter duty fabric than 19. I think the thought is that it will keep the bugs out and prevent the bed from overheating. My personal experience with ALL the different fabric thickness's is it modifies the highs and modifies the lows but does not cause a bed to over heat. If plants are burning up, the plants are not being well watered.

This week I harvested chard, kale, spinach, Asian greens, lettuce, and turnips. Please email for availability.

No comments: