Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, August 1, 2016

August 1, 2016

Avalanche column
July 28, 2016

This year has been a very bazar year to garden. It has been “kinda sorta” moist, but not really. It always amazes me how the precipitation quantities are really quite variable in and around Alpine.

Deb will frequently ask me “how much rain did you get, it really dumped on campus”. Sometimes the best that falls is enough to make chicken “saunas”. And other times you could white water raft down the drive way.

Probably the biggest mystery I have had this year is when a plant that for all appearances looks to be a healthy plant: great color, blooming and loaded with fruit. By all indications a thriving plant, then a couple of days later dead.

I pull the plant, take note of the soil moisture, examine the roots, and look for any obvious insect problems: just a general inspection of the dead plant. Most of these plants just plain baffle me. My default for any problem in the garden is “what can I do different?” My practices are easier to change than say the environment.

I sent my weekly email to my veggies sales customers recently and I addressed this mystery death situation. It really was amazing the number of folks who responded to this email. I ALWAYS love feedback. Folks were mentioning these weird happenings in their gardens too. This feedback was very helpful besides knowing I wasn’t alone.

I have noticed that we have had many near 100 degree days, most likely the most since I have moved to alpine. I have become to feel that there is no “operator error” involved.

Plants will start to go dormant at 95 degrees and at 100 will totally shut down.  Most of our recent overnight lows have been 75 degrees or better. With these high lows, the 95 plus degree period during the day is much longer. Further observations have shown that the plants that are covered with at least 2 layers of Agribon fabric seem to be faring better.

Another observation has shown with the last few days with high temps in the mid to lower 90’s plants are starting to push new growth and blooms.

So the best you can do is make sure all your plants are mulched, remain hydrated and then wait out this period until better growing conditions return.

Reciting the Serenity Prayer and telling yourself “this too will pass” may help too.

Good luck and happy gardening!!!

No comments: